Friday, May 12, 2006

One Month, One Month, One Month, One Month

This entry is from my LiveJournal from yesterday night. I am in not some sort of timewarp and I know the schedule in Germany. :)

---

One month. Exactly one month from much earlier today, the United States kicks off in Germany with the long awaited (or dreaded) match against Czech Republic.

And if I'm not mistaken, I will be watching it in Seattle. Yes, phew, I didn't accidentally schedule my flight home on the 12th. That would have been asinine.

Thinking back, I think my best World Cup experience happened on the road. It was in Boston during the 1998 World Cup - because everything good happens in Boston - when Wellman and I (back when he wasn't a leach who I should have punched in the face) were on a trip out east in both the United States and Canada (this was the only time I've been to Ottawa and Montreal). Anyhow, the joy was spending three days of the tournament in the hostel in Cambridge and seeing everybody gather in the TV room.

Now I would stay in the hostel in Seattle (ugh, I still need to figure out where I'm staying on the 10th through 12th) but staying in a hostel in the United States with no backpack at my age would make me seem like the world's biggest sicko.

Especially asking tourists from other nations ten years younger than me where they're watching the matches. :)

The hotel I'm staying in for work is something like $160 a night. And I don't have that. Maybe I should take my backpack but then I'll look like the biggest sicko at the work related functions.

This is why it's always awkward for me to travel for work. It's like I'm living a double life. Only this time the non-work life is for longer than any trip since I went to Denver in 2002.

I'll probably just stay at a Red Roof Inn. I mean, sure it might not have cable to watch the matches (though the United States matches are on ABC of course) but at least I'll be supporting an MLS sponsor.




Speaking of footcer, as you know I tend to do on Fridays, go Hammers. Yeah, I have no shame in pulling for the mid-sized London team. There's no neutral here.




And still speaking of footcer, I've collected a couple of links that I need to get out on my inbox on the subject.

The first is a somewhat politically neutral story on Dubya.

It's really odd that he was more forthcoming about footcer than he's been about most everything else during his entire administration when he said the following:

"As a boy I never even saw a soccer ball. Where I'm from soccer wasn't played. The sport just didn't exist. So there is a generation of Americans who really aren't soccer fans. A lot of us grew up without any connection to soccer -- me, for example. But there is a new generation that has grown up with soccer. They obviously have a great interest in the World Cup. And some of us older fellas are starting to understand how important the World Cup is for the whole world. Of course the U.S. is my team. I've been told that we have a good team. But who knows whether it's good enough to win."

Now, it would be so fun to dissect this comment line by line like I would the State of the Union address or something but instead I'll just say that on this particular subject it's good that Bush is a uniter and not a divider.

Though I don't think he's going to be convincing any of his friends to help with the school district plan for building the soccer specific stadium in Houston but baby steps I guess.

For a baseball man to admit that footcer exists is definitely a step ahead of what has gone on in the past.

Now if only the idiot followers of this man would join suit!




Now a lot of people still discount the United States' chances of making it out of the group phase (except people who know nothing about the sport who expect them to win it all) but there is going to be one representative of the United States in Germany all throughout the tournament - Budweiser.

The great war on myspace.com about footcer's place in the sporting world rages on (I think this has been three weeks now) and in relation to that news bit, there was actually the stupidest statement of the entire war made:

"It's one of the many things you fellas have that we Americans have improved upon. Other examples would be beer and dental hygiene."

The irony of the statement being that this comes from someone of the footcer side of the debate - a fellow footcer Yank. He drew some friendly fire (not from me) over the beer comment - mostly by the European participants.

Does this war ever stop? I hope not since it's not yet lost its fun. It's like a battle scar of footcer. Kind of like debating footcer with some Aussies in a hostel in Boston in 1998. It was actually the first time anyone declared me winning a footcer debate.

Ah, the memories. :)




LINK OF THE DAY


http://www.coolgorilla.com/ipod/germany.html


Speaking of the World Cup as I've been doing all entry, this is a great little iPod resource. It has all of the rosters, club stats, international stats, schedules. Oh my fate it has it all! It's just a thing of beauty. If only my iPod was World Cup size compatible! :(

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an 'idiot follower' of Bush and I am going to Germany to see the National Team.

Why can't soccer bloggers keep politics out of soccer? This seems to be happening a lot recently, especially with liberals. I have been blogging for almost a year and have never brought politics in a socce post.

9:31 AM  
Blogger incendiarymind said...

I dunno John. Maybe for the same reason that conservative movie bloggers are badmouthing "Goal" because it doesn't portray immigrants as robbing banks and stealing welfare money.

Though it can be said that conservative movie bloggers will hate anything that doesn't paint groups they hate as purely villainous.

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are you talking about? Where did I talk about conservative movie bloggers? I asked a simple question.

10:27 AM  
Blogger incendiarymind said...

I'm just saying that politics sneak into all sorts of places they shouldn't these days.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Vigaplus erectile dysfunction cure said...

the site, the graphics really look professional. talking about the post it looks very much organized.

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Profollica hair restoration system said...

nice blog page .. great graphical designs ... and also nice information...

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Digestit colon cleansing medicine said...

What a strategy! i admire you for you idea. Keep it up.

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Spermomax sperm pills review said...

It was in Boston during the 1998 World Cup - because everything good happens in Boston

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Vigaplus best herbal ED product said...

Boston World Cup in 1998, it is the best world cup I have ever seen.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous hcg buy online said...

This seems to be happening a lot recently, especially with liberals. How to burn 3500 to 4000 calories of stored fat and LOSING UP 1 to 2 POUNDS A DAY...

4:35 AM  
Anonymous Niconot anti smoking pills said...

I am counting by day . Door knocking sound good.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Niconot anti smoking pills said...

I am counting by day . Door knocking sound good.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Compare prevent premature ejaculation pills said...

This creates a giant circle jerk where Mexico pushes the United States up the ranking and vice-versa.

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Buy Niconot anti smoking pills said...

Exactly one month from much earlier today, the United States kicks off in Germany with the long awaited (or dreaded) match against Czech Republic.

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Recumbent exercise bike reviews said...

I love baseball, also i love your posts about baseball

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Celebrity Gossip said...

One month+one month+one month+one motnh = 4 months, no ? I was never good at math but i think i'm right here.

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Plaque attack for dogs said...

Your story is amazing sir. I think im going to take a day off and stay in the house reading your entire blog.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Compare prevent premature ejaculation pills said...

Starting your own freelance business on the internet is really good..

4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home