Saturday, April 01, 2006

Traveling Back In Footcer Time

So it looks like MLS started up again, eh? That's always good when it happens. I'm pretty out of it today from dropping a bad habit or two (going to The Globe Pub is not one of them). Seems like I've actually forgotten to post a couple of the recent footcer related posts from my LiveJournal so I'll do that now:

  • WEDNESDAY, MARCH 29 - A TIME LONG, LONG AGO...

    This is the first time I've tried to listen to footcer since moving to my new desk and I think this desk is lower because, besides the fact that my left ear is on fire, it's more comfortable.

    There is big news in the footcer world today as friggin' Chelsea just signed a deal to be a sister club with Los Angeles Galaxy (of all teams).

    The big part of this deal is that the Los Angeles Galaxy will get first crack at Chelsea youth players who the club sends to the United States for seasoning and Chelsea gets first crack at any Los Angeles Galaxy player who is actually good enough to play for Chelsea (all zero of them, but I think this could be a move to get Hercules Gomez on the cheap).

    Now the Fire actually get to be involved in this deal as an AEG owned team. But far from being equal partners the other three AEG teams in the league only get to play Chelsea once every two years.

    At least the Fire didn't choose Chelsea to be our European dance partner - I'm still holding out hope for PSV Eindhoven.

    There is one really silly but somehow awesome part of the deal: Chelsea is going to sponsor a reality show in the United States where the winner gets a professional contract at Chelsea.

    I wonder if Freddy Adu is eligible for the show. :) At the rate he's developing, it's the only way he'll ever get on Chelsea.

  • SATURDAY, MARCH 25 - AN EVEN LONGER, LONGER TIME AGO...

    The movie that I watched today also had quite a few dream sequences, "The Football Factory."

    I chose this movie because MLS kicks off next week with the Fire playing FC Dallas on ABC! And, well, this is a decision involved with the movie I watched of sorts. "The Football Factory" is about footcer hooligans and I have to decide how active I want to be in Section 8 this season.

    I'm leaning toward not at all (as much as will try to convince me otherwise). Not that Section 8 is anywhere near the level of violence of your average surviving English firm.

    The irony of the movie is about the choice one hooligan makes as he's about to turn 30 whether to stay in the firm or to "grow up." And, well, I turn 31 about a month into the Fire season. Seeing all the grey hairs in the firm in the movie just made me think, maybe it's time to move on and let the kids be the kids in Section 8.

    Something creepy was I had no idea whose firm was portrayed in the movie but it turned out to be FUCKING CHELSEA (as well as Millwall's as their main rivals)!

    So this marks two weeks in a row I've accidentally shat upon Manchester City in my non-footcer entertainment choices.

    Last Monday I went to see West Ham supporter Billy Bragg after the Hammers knocked City out of the FA Cup and now today I watch a film about the team who beat City 2-0 in the league. UGH!

    I swear that it's not on purpose!

    One last footcer note - CONGRATS TO READING!

    Reading officially clinched promotion to the Premiership today with a 1-1 draw against Leicester City.

    I didn't think about the possibility of this happening so I was listening to Fulham/Aston Villa in the Premiership at the same time.

    Just so everyone knows where my #1 priority still lies. Even if both clubs have the same amount of Yanks on them. :)

  • FRIDAY, MARCH 24 - AFTER TODAY'S HOME LOSS TO POMPEY, IT SEEMS LIKE DECADES AGO

    Fulham has decided to immortalize last Sunday's win over Chelsea through a memorabilia package!

    There's even a commemorative DVD entitled "Worth The Wait."

    While I'm still celebrating the win as much as any remote Cottager around the world, there is something a little embarrassing about FFC celebrating a win over Chelsea with about as much flourish as Liverpool celebrated their Champions League victory.

    Are Fulham really that small a club to have to celebrate one match as if it's the biggest accomplishment ever.

    Well, on the bright side, at least Fulham isn't West Brom celebrating fighting off relegation on the last day of last season.

    That all being said, am I going to buy the commemorative DVD? You bet I am. Just not until the 31st when I have the money to spare. I'm sure Fulham will still be celebrating them. At least if we don't beat Aston Villa on the road tomorrow and replace the shirts with that. :)

    I'm almost starting to feel there's more pride in not winning one road match and yet avoiding relegation. That's one for the record books.

  • MONDAY, MARCH 20 - AS FAR BACK AS I'M GOING TO GO

    And chalk up loss number three in my "Chelsea will have four losses in league this season." But that's not the reason I'm feeling good about the footcer world after this weekend. More important is who handed Chelsea their third loss of the season 1-0 away from home...

    FULHAM BEAT CHELSEA FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 27 SEASONS YESTERDAY IN THE WEST LONDON DERBY!

    Of course it being Fulham, there has to be bad news mixed with the good as there was a pitch invasion after the match by jubilant Fulham fans. This in itself isn't the bad news. The terrible occurance is that Chelsea away supporters than stormed the pitch and a fight ensued.

    The FA may close off Craven Cottage for the next Fulham home match against Portsmouth on April 1.

    In the oddity of oddities, had my plans to go to the United Kingdom not gotten aborted, I would have had tickets to that very match. So, in the end, it looks like it's better that I didn't end up making it to London at the end of this month.

    That personal note aside, fuck Chelsea supporters! This was probably the same group that after the Fulham/Chelsea match at Stamford Bridge last year, walked down the Fulham Road into Fulham (well further into Fulham since Stamford Bridge is in Fulham after all) and started beating up Fulham supporters - after the further westerners lost!

    But the good part about that was at least Chelsea supporters had to realize their smaller, but older, neighbor's existance.

    Now there is no denying, even amongst the idiot Chelsea fans in the United States, that Fulham exists!
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home