Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Heed My Warning, Clear Out Liverpool Now

My favorite little Spanish team - Villarreal - is pulling a PSV this year and has clawed their way into the semi-finals against much bigger fish like AC Milan, Arsenal, and Barcelona.

Not only are they out of their league talent-wise but they're also on the wrong side of the alphabet. :)

They at least drew Arsenal who if the teams were reseeded would be the three seed (1. Barcelona, 2. AC Milan, dispute it if you like) so they have a fighting chance of making it to the finals - where they'll get their asses kicked by compatriots Barcelona like it was just another La Liga match. :(

Really Barcelona v. AC Milan is the final that I think the world (at least the part of the world that cares) wanted to see.

But there is a bigger story in all this. Arsenal, if they win the whole thing and finish out of the top four in England (a distinct possibility, admit it Arsenal supporters) under the new "Liverpool Rule," they would knock out the fourth place team from qualifying for next year's Champions League. Currently this is Arsenal's arch-rivals Tottenham.

As I was reminding my friend Todd of this fact today (he's a Spurs fan), he gave me a look like death. I told him, "don't blame me, blame Liverpool!"

I got a mental picture at the time which may have been a premonition.

Brothers and sisters, I see an army of Spurs fans burring the red end of Liverpool to the ground.

That is unless the Arsenal fans choose the enemy of my enemy and protect Liverpool from the invading north London hordes!

---

U.S. Soccer has announced the lineup for next week's preparatory friendly against Jamaica and I'm still not sure why they just don't bring the entire New England Revolution for these all-domestic games. I mean, you'd be a little sparce in defense though the entirety of the Rev's back line (with the exception of reserve Avery John) is Yanks.

I mean, it works for small countries to have their B-team pretty much all be from the same club team so why wouldn't it work for us?

It could make us look a little bit desperate but no more so than giving Tony Meola a charity 100th cap.

Do we really want to remember the Meola days that fondly? Back when he pretty much was the team while our outfield players sucked it up?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No need for panic in L4. Arsenal will finish fourth anyway. Spurs are going to finish about seventh. Take it from me.

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home