Saturday, July 01, 2006

A Confession From A Christiano Apologist

So I have a confession to make that probably isn't that surprising but will make a lot of people on my friends list pretty angry - I was rooting for Portugal today.

Yeah, that's why I've been pretty quiet about it.

It has nothing to do with a dislike of England (despite my run-ins with England fans in recent times, though shutting them up is a great benefit of the loss) but more with the fact that I had to prove that I wasn't an England supporter to everybody.

It's so odd that if you're an English speaking footcer fan in the United States and talking to someone who doesn't know you're a United States supporter, people assume that you're an England supporter. The most recent person being one of the company lawyers on Friday. So today I decided I was going to really dislike England.

And so today I'm pretty happy about it.

Sure this is kind of mean as there are people out there who have lived and died with England their entire lives, including a few (though not many) in the United States.

Now I can go and get excited about the Premiership again and pay less attention to MLS. ;)

Seriously, though, it did allow me to root againt Brazil wholeheartedly and they came through for me and lost. Now the only two teams left that I want to lose (otherwise known as the forces of evil) are France (because I just generally hate them) and Germany (because they're the home team).

So to recap I'm pulling for a Portugal v. Italy final just to see a totally unexpected team winning it all - an unexpected team that isn't France.

Though let it be known that I was also pulling for Portugal on a positive note. It would be nice to see them win the World Cup with the remains of the golden generation (one of whom became the first goalie to stop three penalty kicks in a World Cup match) who really deserved to win Euro 2004 (despite the fact that it was on home soil).

So to avenge the loss to one of the evil teams (Greece), Portugal deserves a good turn.

And, hey, maybe Luis Boa Morte will get to play again in a bigger game than what he has already. Yeah, that's the ticket. I have a reason to be a Portugal supporter. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home