Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I Just Love This Time Of Every Four Years

It's a good thing the World Cup is only once every four years or I think I'd explode a blood vessel. Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate everyone who comes out of the woodwork and pays attention the U.S. Men's National Team once every four years - even though I get upset when you disappear the rest of the time and say, "yeah I like footcer, I wonder what's going on with it."

And they spend their time on the forum rehashing topics that those of us who actually keep it alive in the United States the rest of the time are sick of debating (i.e. the FIFA rankings are crap). Well at least I am.

But, hey, the events-only footcer crowd did a great thing! They drove the ratings of the U.S.A./Italy match to a 5.2 rating - on the English language stations (without including Spanish broadcasting). That's the highest rating since a 7.0 for the 1998 final.

But the news is better than that. In games not involving the United States, ESPN2 is averaging a 1.3 rating - for matches that are taking place during the day. The weekend numbers were a 2.8.

That's more than the NHL Finals are drawing!

But, get this, the World Cup outdrew NASCAR in the 18-34 demographic!

Yes, I'll repeat that...

FOOTCER FOR ONE DAY WAS BIGGER THAN NASCAR WITH THE DEMOGRAPHIC THAT MATTERS TO ADVERTISERS!!!

Mind you, these are nowhere near the numbers drawn by the NBA Finals, but it's huge.

In looking over the T.V. ratings (for an analysis I was doing to prove footcer had supplanted hockey as the #4 sport in the United States - and it's pretty convincingly so with MLS' attendance and T.V. ratings on par with hockey and international matches outdrawing olympic hockey) I realized something.

The United States really doesn't care about watching sports.

Think about this before you break out the straightjacket. The NBA Finals, in prime time, are drawing an 11. That's 14 million people. Pretty good. Not when you consider that is 5% of the United States population.

The only 95% are not watching the NBA finals.

Think about that. If only 5% of people in England were watching the World Cup, there would be a full scale government investigation. If only 5% of people in Australia watched any sporting event, the sun would implode.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home