Saturday, September 16, 2006

Footcer Is Not For Suckers

I went into work today and it went pretty well. I don't know if it's good or bad that I got more accomplished in five hours today than the last 21. I still have to go in tomorrow at some point for another two hours or so (the hours I missed by sleeping through my alarm on Monday). I think it will be during the Fulham match.

What kind of half-ass fan am I that I thought it was today? I even wore my Fulham jersey to work.

Anyhow, not that it wasn't fun listening to Reading demolish Sheffield United (and of course listening to the Preston North End match so I don't feel guilty about still subscribing to their service even though I used it to listen to Reading all last year) but it's just not the same.

Though it's a bit better than the news coming out of the homefront vis-a-vis footcer.

I heard something on Gol TV's news program (right before my cable decided it no longer liked the channel, a glitch that's happened until tonight where the video still comes in but the audio) that made my heart stop...

The newest rumor is that the United States may hire Sven Goran-Erikson as their next head footcer coach!

I had to scratch my ears on that one.

It was like all of the ribbing that the program had taken from pundits all around the world had come home to roost. There is no way that the United States can make the same mistake that England did, is there?

Wait, I think that's what we usually do in world affairs and such but we're talking footcer here. :)

Sven is about the worst coach the United States could sign because if there's any coach that let players completely control the team, it was Sven. If there was any coach who compounded roster blunders with tactical ones, it was Sven. Maybe if the United States wanted to adopt the flawed paradigm of the late Bruce Arena regime, Sven is perfect.

Ha! Never thought I'd put those three words in the same sentence.

Though I can say one good thing about if Sven is hired. He'd keep soccer on the front pages of the papers - though not for soccer. Hide the secretaries!

Now, there was better news on American Soccer's repeat after the story ran, that Sunil Gulati flew down to Argentina to interview Jose Peckerman. Now that's a possibility.

Though I personally still want Steve Nicol.

The whole thing seems to be just a way to leverage Juergen Klinnsman. Though from what I heard it wasn't that the German didn't want to coach the United States, just that he didn't want to coach the United States for what U.S. Soccer was willing to pay him. There was about a $1.4 million dollar descrepency.

Just pony up the cash, please.

Consider it an investment in a good team that will up the value of footcer in the United States and pay way more that that in dividends!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog is interesting...

Soccer boots blog

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home