Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Footcer World Tour Continues

So I've been taking a little international break myself (though without leaving Chicago oddly enough). Of course the footcer world hasn't stopped turning in the meantime but I have been lacking the energy to really pay attention to the news (amazing how an English or Scottish accent blurs together when you're really tired).

As I begin this with the goal to go to sleep at a reasonable hour for once, it appears as the Fire finally got their act together against Kansas City tonight (though it took them injury time in the second half to get the tie) to clinch a playoff spot. While it appears as though Kansas City has the tie break on a +2 head-to-head goal differential (the season series was 1-1-2), I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Fire appear like they'll be the three seed as D.C. United is easily dispatching Real Salt Lake.

I've taken quite an interest in the results of the match since me and my Fire buddy Nicole may be flying east to Boston or Washington D.C. to see the Fire's first road away game (which now looks to be the 22nd or 23rd). Too keep plane fares down, I'm now rooting for one or the other to clinch soon, I don't care who.

And the sad part is that while I'm there, I'll probably get more entries in than I did in the past week. :)

Speaking of travel, my Everton loving buddy Todd just got back from his honeymoon in Panama (at which point he probably felt no sadness about the Toffees since, well, he had other things on his mind) and came back with the report that Central American leagues suck. Hardly news but he did come back with the impression that they really like MLS down in central America. Perhaps MLS should concentrate on overseas revenue much like Manchester United. :)

Though of course the ultimate footcer destination is still Brazil. But, while we can't all make it there, Real Madrid's core decided last weekend to bring it to the world demonstrating some of the strangest goal celebrations the world has ever seen.

Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos swear they're not trying to taunt their opponents writhing on the ground after goals and leapfrogging each other on the pitch. And I believe them. They're just demonstrating Carnivale for Spain. They should be getting paid by the Brazilian Tourism Bureau or something.

It looks like Rio Ferdinand is also very interested in traveling. But he doesn't want to go all the way to Brazil. He just wants his ticket to Germany paid for. Or, well he wants to make it to Germany at all. If he has issues against Austria, his younger brother Anton from West Ham, however, has a better shot of making the England squad.

Someone is going on vacation for certain or a certain group of people. The German national team is planning on vacationing in Italy. Perhaps they can gain some talent from the country as well.

Though if they really wanted that, they should probably travel to Brazil.

2 Comments:

Blogger brucio said...

i think i am gonna continue my own world soccering tour with the next trip being the mls final regardless of who is playing
if dc makes it will you go?
bruce - from du nord

10:01 AM  
Blogger incendiarymind said...

I really should since I still have 2 for 1 ATA tickets. But the only way I'll find someone to go with is if the Fire make it.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home