Saturday, August 06, 2005

The Top League For Excitement Started Today Not Next Week

I don't know how I completely forgot to mention this in last week's post about the European leagues starting up but my absolute favorite league in the entire world started up today. And I don't mean the Bundesliga (which technically started up yesterday anyhow), I mean the Coca Cola Championship in England.

This league is my favorite because nearly anything can happen and almost always does. And that something results in three teams being newbies in the Premiership.

The Colaship is what the Premiership used to be. It's a league where the best team in the league still loses five or six games and where there are anywhere up to usually eight teams competing for the title all the way through the end of the season to win automatic promotion to the Premiership (and to get into the 3rd-6th playoff, it's half the league).

Well there are certain parts of that the Premiership has never been (maybe counting European places, it's as exciting at points table-wise).

It's basically what MLS could be if it was a single table. :)

Today, for example, Crystal Palace, straight down from the Premiership and still with Andy Johnson, lost to Luton, straight up from League One, 2-1. It was a generally awful day for the new big boys demoted last season as Norwich tied Coventry City (last year 19th) 1-1, and Southampton tied perennial contenders since their own demotion a couple of years ago Wolverhampton (Wolves - last year 9th) 0-0.

The most interesting aspect for me, however, is going to be trying to choose a team. Leeds United should be the choice since Eddie Lewis decided to move there from Preston North End during the off-season. But, I think my heart is staying with Preston and the great strike paring of Richard Cresswell and David Nugent (2-1 winners over London burbies Watford).

The big winners in the Colaship today, and currently in first place with a +3 GD is perennial contenders (though like I said, there are about ten of them) Sheffield United who cruised to a 4-1 victory over Leichester at home. Their old archrivals Sheffield Wednesday (also promoted this year from League One) tied Stoke City 0-0 in their first match back in England's most exciting division.

Even after the Premiership kicks off, it's still the first active division in my heart. :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, and best resolution of the "football"/"soccer" question ever.

Your Championship posts have convinced me that I should be paying said league a lot more attention. I just wish the games would venture somewhere near American TV...

2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home