Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Super Becks With The Super Big Words Again

It feels as though it's been a while since I've bashed David Beckham outright (for that matter Wayne Rooney will get his soon too) but today I just can't help it.

As everyone probably knows, London is one of the five finalists for the 2012 summer olympics. And not for nothing but it's one I support (being from Chicago, I never like seeing New York City win anything). Well, David Beckham is the "secret weapon" of the London bid - being originally from the area of east London which will become the host area in the megalopolis.

The silly part of this equation is that England doesn't compete in Olympic footcer. Unlike FIFA which lets the United Kingdom play as four separate home countries, the Olympics tells Great Britain to unite or don't bother. Due to this England (or for that matter Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland) haven't sent a footcer team to the Olympics in decades.

Though Becks and Sven (as I like to call them when we're palling around) have promised that if London gets the bid, the United Kingdom will send a team.

Frankly, I'd vote for London just to see that happen - if I could vote.

But in the madness that is the final run-up, I think David Beckham took it a little too far. Talking in the same tone that he used to "hint" that he might someday play for the Los Angeles Galaxy, he told reporters today:

"It would be great if our country could have a football team in the Olympics. To perform in the Olympics would be special for a lot of players I have played with. I might come out of retirement - if I'm retired by then!"


My first thought when I heard this was, "like David Beckham would on the first choice for one of the three over-23 players England would choose down the line." Right now he might be but in a few years, he wouldn't be, continued the thought.

Then his actual age - 37 - in 2012 hit me.

And now I still can't stop shaking my head. I mean by that time he'll be playing for the L.A. Galaxy, so England won't want him to have to choose between club and country and all. :)

But it looks like he's keeping his options open to compete in anything.





It's not like the United Kingdom has that many choices in basketball. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home