Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Anything That Pisses Off Ollie Kahn Is Fine By Me

Oh sweet dream, how quickly you flit away!

And how quickly Chad Barrett could follow the dreams flitting away to a spot in the Eredevisie.

---

And, now back to happy. :)

I try to stay out of the technical aspects of the game since I'm not very good at either the skills themselves or covering them, but I find one thing pretty funny about the new experimental offsides rules being tried out at the Confederations Cup - the reaction to them by various footcer goalies and coaches.

The rule now states that an attacking player beyond the last defender is only offsides if they are involved in the play. So, now the goalie must do the mental math and calculate which potential individuals are allowed to be passed to, I guess.

Like I said, I'm not very good at the whole x's and o's aspect of the game.

Or in the words of Winona Ryder in "Reality Bites": "I don't know how to define offsides, but I know it when I see it."

I like the rule change because it's really silly for a breakaway one v. one with the goalie to be called offsides because a wing player is too far afield. It's one of those things that makes the game less understandable to casual fans who are just trying to get into the game.

Then again, me trying to explain the rules can be something that makes the game equally hard to understand for casual fans. In fact, I could be offsides right now for all I know. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger incendiarymind said...

The problem with Barrett is his youth. Rolfe is a baby himself so there's not much room for two inexperienced players up front.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home