Monday, June 06, 2005

The Art Of Throwing Large Objects On The Pitch Takes A Hit

Little old me picked up his first reputation red card today on bigsoccer.com. I'm amazed that I made it this long, since I'm never one to hold my footcer opinions back. But, I guess I crossed the line when I brought up the fact that I hate playoffs in a discussion of Salt Lake City's stupendous job on the World Cup Qualfier.

How it got there is a long story (basically someone was getting down on Real Salt Lake, I said, "don't worry, you're an expansion team," someone responded that the Fire were league champions as an expansion team, and I said, "in my mind, the Fire didn't win the MLS until 2003 when they won the Supporter's Shield...) but the red card read (this is from a moderator, mind you):

"MLS is an American league. Playoffs rule. You drool"

So I guess I don't feel too bad.

Still, it puts me one step above some sort of Italian footcer hooligan (even with my eight green card to cancel it out and keep me reputation positive).

But soon I might be worse.

Yes, the country that gave us the the flaming motorcycle incident has vowed to clean up its act.

For those who don't know the flaming motorcycle story, somehow a group of fans managed to sneak a motorcycle into a Serie A match, lit it on fire and somehow catapaulted it onto the pitch. Sounds like an urban legend by my Italian friend Paola verified it was true. That was before she constantly tells me to stop mentioning it whenever a story about Italian hooliganism comes up.

We'll all have to wait and see if the measures such as numbering all tickets to quickly identify trouble makers and stadium surveilance work. Frankly the Italians have proved to be as creative as they are crazy so the success remains up in the air. Hopefully there won't be any repeats of the Inter Milan disqualification from the Champions League for supporter behavior (after a thrown object injured AC Milan's goalie Dida).

It's fun to make fun of silly fan behavior but there is a certain line where it just crosses into crazy. Anything bigger than a breadbasket being thrown on the pitch, that's scary. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home