Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Aston Villa Is A Growed Up Big Boy Now

It's official. Michael Owen is now Newcastle United's second striker. Yeah, I know he's better than Alan Shearer but, come on, does anyone think Alan is going to play second fiddle to anyone? :)

This signing is just sad news. For one thing it's coming right before Fulham travels up to St. James Park. And just like with Milan Baros' transfer to Villa Park, I get the sneaking suspicion that he'll score in his first match for the barcodes.

It's also sad because I lose my jokes about how bad Newcastle is. While I don't think Owen will make them contenders for Europe (unless he scores 30 goals by himself since no one else Tyneside seems to be able to get one) or anything but he'll definitely take them out of the relegation zone.

So, um, Pompey you're it! Portsmouth is now the target of all my bad established clubs in trouble jokes. :)

---

There's a much sillier signing in the world today - Fred. I mean, this guy is obviously good or Olympique Lyon wouldn't be signing him, but what self-respecting Brazilian takes the nickname Fred?

He's an up-and-coming striker in the Brazilian system but I guess all the good nicknames were taken. At least, the sportscasters and pundits won't butcher it like Juninho or Ronaldinho or even Juan.

It's a nice easy English sounding name. Of course he's playing in France so I don't think that's going to help much. :)

---

In still more transfer news, is anyone else getting the impression that Aston Villa is a "big club"?

After Milan Baros decided he wanted to go and be a Villan, it's become almost the company line for new signees and transfers to refer to the Birmingham club as "big." The latest transfer, Wilfred Bouma formerly of PSV described Aston Villa in the following way:

"I had a good feeling about Villa -- with their history of being a big club."


Not to be conspiratorial, but I think all Aston Villa signees have a clause in their contract this season that they must try to recruit others by hyping how major a footcer team it is. It's like a pyramid scheme in the midlands. :)

The funny thing is that this "big club"'s manager David O'Leary is always complaining that he doesn't have the resources to compete with other "big clubs" like Chelsea and Manchester United. So if Aston Villa is a big club, I guess the others are super humungeouly gigantically large.

What I wonder, though, is if PSV actually has anyone still playing for them? I've lost count of this year's transfer. Sure they're always a farm team for bigger clubs but now it seems like Eindhoven is really a farm team - DaMarcus Beasley and a group of local Dutch farmers.

---

Another team that no one's quite sure of who's on it is the United States men's national team which will play Mexico this weekend. Bruce Arena has made a point of keeping his lineup a secret (though he claims it's a media glitch).

Yeah, I had to use the Fox News link for that - it seemed fitting. :)

Go tell the world indeed. Just don't tell them exactly who's going to surprise them in the next World Cup.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

affiliate internet marketing is great

i found here searching for the word affiliate internet marketing and your site was listed high on the word affiliate internet marketing
GOOD JOB

affiliate internet marketing

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi incendiarymind - I was out searching for Fantasy Football Mock Draft related sites and stumbled across your blog. Aston Villa Is A Growed Up Big Boy Now is not exactly what I was looking for, but I still stayed and sniffed around a bit! Nice site! I am off to find Fantasy Football Mock Draft related stuff, but I will stop by again soon! Keep up the good work!

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

incendiarymind - nice blog. I was looking for Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets sites, but I am glad I found your Aston Villa Is A Growed Up Big Boy Now blog, because it is quite entertaining! I will come back and check it out! Off to find more Fantasy Football Cheat Sheets blogs/sites... see ya and thanks!

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear incendiarymind --- Nice blog! I was looking for Fantasy Football Rankings related info, but stopped for a minute when I found you blog! It is great! I am book-marking it and will come back! I haven't seem a blog quite like Aston Villa Is A Growed Up Big Boy Now! Anyway great blog, but no Fantasy Football Rankings info here I I am out! THanks...

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there incendiarymind, nice blog here! I am looking for Fantasy Football blogs, but yours stood out to me despite really having nothing to do with Fantasy Football stuff. Seems like a lot of people enjoy your Aston Villa Is A Growed Up Big Boy Now blog and I will bookmark you! Thanks...

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

incendiarymind - nice blog. I was looking for Fantasy Football Draft sites, but I am glad I found your Aston Villa Is A Growed Up Big Boy Now blog, because it is quite entertaining! I will come back and check it out! Off to find more Fantasy Football Draft blogs/sites... see ya and thanks!

10:33 AM  
Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hey incendiarymind - got lost looking for Fantasy Football Mock Draft info but found your great blog! Aston Villa Is A Growed Up Big Boy Now is not exactly Fantasy Football Mock Draft related, but I still gave it a good look and will come back.. Thanks.

12:42 PM  
Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Dear incendiarymind --- Nice blog! I was looking for Fantasy Football Rankings related info, but stopped for a minute when I found you blog! It is great! I am book-marking it and will come back! I haven't seem a blog quite like Aston Villa Is A Growed Up Big Boy Now! Anyway great blog, but no Fantasy Football Rankings info here; I am out! Thanks...

12:22 PM  
Blogger FantasyFootballHelpers.com said...

Hey incendiarymind - got lost looking for Fantasy Football info but found your great blog! Aston Villa Is A Growed Up Big Boy Now is not exactly Fantasy Football related, but I still gave it a good look and will come back.. Thanks.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been following this site and so far the site
has produced over a 10% return. So far its a free
site.

rickjshandicappingpicks.blogspot.com/

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding your blog about barclays english fa premiership. The best site for barclays english fa premiership is **http://www.freepremiership.com**. http://www.freepremiership.com is the top free osccer website in the world and features the latest Premiership club news, fixtures, scores, scorers, radio streams, tv streams and lots more football links.

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi read your blog - seeing as you feature manchester united soccer club I thought you might like to get the latest Manchester United football news. If you know any United fans then please pass this on. Cheers for now ;-)

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home